December 30th rolled along and my new German and Polish friends decided we should all go to Tiberias and the Sea of Galilee together. That worked for me since they had rented a car, made it easy. Seeing the Sea was amazing, took lots of pictures and we visited the Church of St. Peter, connected to the story of Jesus calming the storm on the sea. Beautiful mosaics were there and everyone in the group took their time going through the church. For the rest of the day, we traveled north around the west coast of the Sea, visiting Caphernaum, the Church of Multiplication of Loaves and Fish, and the Mt. of Beatitudes. All of these biblical sites were wonderful to see, different than what I pictured in my head, but amazing to be there. It was raining the entire day but that didn’t stop us one bit. In fact, when we dropped the car off at 4, we were in Afula where we caught the bus to Nazareth; however, it was an express bus that stopped 5 miles outside of Nazareth! We just walked the rest of the way which worked out great. For dinner, Matias made spaghetti and sauce and we ended up watching “Freedom Writers”. It was like we were a little family, sitting there with our cups of tea, watching a movie together. It was interesting, a theme throughout my trip, how people connect with each other and interact in such caring ways. Really, the whole trip reinforced my silly idea in my head that the majority of people just want to love others, really, I know that sounds like a naïve idea but I stand by it.
Leaving Nazareth, I caught a taxi to Afula and then was standing at the Bus Station when a guy approached about taking a taxi bus to Tel Aviv instead for the same price. I was hesitant but a guy that spoke Hebrew said it was legit so I got in, paid $5.00 and rode the 2 hours to Tel Aviv. Arrived, got out my map, and starting exploring the very western, European Tel Aviv. Stopped in this crazy mall area and got lunch, then continued on to the beach! It was so lovely to just sit on the beach, watching people, enjoying the sun, stuck my feet in the Mediterranean Sea, found seashells, and took plenty of pictures. After relaxing there for about two hours, I picked up my bags once again (I looked like I was living on the street, with my little bags) and explored some more of the city. I ended up finding this 24-hour breakfast place called “Benedict” and had one of the best dinners ever. I had eggs benedict (with BACON! And salad and it came with a glass of champagne which was appropriate since it was New Year’s Eve of course. Then headed to the hotel to hopefully meet up with Mark. We didn’t really have any way to communicate so I was going by the e-mail I got two weeks before, stating that he would be at the hotel around 9 pm. To my relief, he showed up at 9:20 pm and we spent New Year’s Eve sipping on wine and watching people around us, then watching the London New Year’s Eve celebration on T.V :o)
Ok, I think that is enough information about my trip for now. There are so many small moments and experiences that are just so hard to explain in this format. I will never forget them of course, and I kept a journal through the trip. I can’t believe that I was really there, in the Holy Lands, the places talked about in the bible, places I have read about and seen pictures of. I was there, and I enjoyed every second of it.
1 comment:
You definitely got to see the Holy Land more intimately than I did! And you're lucky to have met people!!!
I can picture it all now, from when I went, but definitely sounds more amazing through your eyes! =)
Post a Comment