Monday, March 22, 2010

Last Day in Amman (for awhile)

Wow- I did not think I would be writing this entry on March 22nd but here I am, at Julie and Soetji's, getting ready for bed and ready for a 12 hour flight tomorrow which will put my Stateside again.  My life in Amman, Jordan has had so many seasons, it feels much longer than 8 months - I have grown personally and professionally in so many ways, and experienced another culture, completely different from my own.  In saying goodbye to people, I realized how quickly I have gotten to know wonderful, caring people here - in a country where I knew no one at first.  Funny how life works that way.  


I feel as though my time in Jordan is not finished yet, so who knows, but I am hope I will return to this part of the world.  Music therapy is such a unique tool that can be used in so many ways with various populations here, especially with victims of trauma.  I hope to continue music therapy work in this region of the world in some way.   


It is such a strange mix of emotions as I prepare to leave this place, a place that I have gotten to know over the months, and move half way back around the world to have place of familiarity, friends, and family -  I will share stories of my time in the Middle East; however, it will be interesting to note how the only people that really will understand are the ones that have experienced it with me.  I have so many pictures of amazing places and people that I want to share about and I also want to share with people what the Middle East is really like, as opposed to what is shown to us on the news.  Ever culture has its stereotypes and I want to try and break those, in whatever way I can.  


Looking out over the city today, I felt sadness as I said goodbye but felt joy knowing I will be returning with new knowledge, new experiences, and partially a new me to share with people.  


I will be back Jordan- but until then, goodbye and farewell to an amazing Jordan Adventure.  

No comments: