Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Egypt Day #3

Onto day three of my Egypt trip....again, this week is very busy with rehearsals for the Nutcracker so I have been a bit slow on my updating. Let's see, let's see - Egypt Day Three was our travel day to Alexandria to see the sites. The big site to see is the Bibliotheca, which houses some of the world's oldest manuscripts. Aimee and I of course took the guided tour and then went into the Rare Books and Manuscripts museum :o) Very cool! I wasn't able to take pictures inside the museum but I am got some great shots inside and outside the library. As we drove into Alexandria I got a great look at the Mediterranean Sea and was able to stick my feet in later in the day. It was quite cold!! After seeing the library and the sea, we went to a great seafood restaurant right on the coast.....now, I will show you a picture of the VAST, HUGE amount of food that was served to each of us. I received a plate of fried calamari/shrimp. a plate of grilled fish (2 whole fish), and plates beyond plate of hummus/veggies/pita, etc. So wonderful!!!! I am going to learn how to cook a few Middle Eastern dishes and I"ll try them out next year when I get back.

After a lovely meal, we took a driving tour of the rest of the city and then back to Cairo for an evening of touring and belly dancing. Aimee and I attempted to learn to bellydance - I think we looked more like we were wiggling but it works. We bought cloth that fits over the hips and shakes when you shake your hips. We'll see if my skills improve over the year :o)

Now, the fourth and final day of the trip was a quick one. We woke up early and headed over the Opera House and were able to watch a Cairo Symphony rehearsal. It was awesome to see and hear another group rehearse, they are pretty awesome. The bassoon player played with us in the October concert so it was nice to see him again and say hello.

Got home from the trip and for the next four days, was very sick with a stomach bug/bacteria infection. Gotta be careful what you eat in Egypt for sure - it was not a fun experience! Luckily, I am feeling much better now. I better be because we have a 5 hour rehearsal tomorrow night for the dress run of the Nutcracker. I love the little kids dancing in the show- hopefully I'll get my hands on a DVD to show you.

Alright, better go for now but I miss you lots, talk soon. xoxoxo

No comments: