Friday, December 18, 2009

on the other side of the world

As it gets closer and closer to Christmas, I am feeling father and farther away from my usual home and family and friends. Don't get me wrong, I have a great support system here that I am so thankful for; however, it's just not the same as being in your home surrounded by family. There is quite a presence of Christmas here in Amman which is nice - Aimee and I have a Christmas tree up in the living room that finally has lights AND ornaments. Tomorrow, I am having a little Christmas party for the kids to make ornaments and give the parents a break for the afternoon :o) Hopefully I will be able to find beads and glitter before the party, so far no luck!

Geoff has been here for a few days and he has been able to see Petra, the Dead Sea, hot springs, the citadel and the Roman theater. Then on Sunday, a group of us are headed to Damascus which should be amazing, can't wait to see a new place and experience the history and culture there. Hopefully we won't have too much trouble getting through the border!! Ahh. In cool news, we went to these hot springs near Madaba, the town near Mt. Nebo, and it was amazing!!! These waterfalls of hot water just pour down on you, you can close your eyes and just relax - that is of course until the pressure strengthens and almost knocks you over! haha. Another friend of the folks downstairs is visiting as well this week so it has been nice for Geoff to have a travel buddy, so glad I went along today though! Watching everyone float in the Dead Sea was great too - I didn't get in this time so I really spent time taking pictures and looking across the sea to the West Bank - really crazy how close everything is here.

I am going to Bethlehem for Christmas which I think I told you and then meeting Mark in Tel Aviv for New Years!! How cool :o) All of these travels are distracting me a bit from the time of year and being far away which is a good and bad thing. I want to make sure I have enough time to really sit and reflect on where I am and the significance of where I am in the world. I will literally be in the place where Jesus was born - in the place where he was crucified. Wowow. I never thought I would see these places in my life, or not at least until I was retired. haha.

Arabic update- I have finally been putting more logical sentences together but I think if I want to be really serious about music therapy in this region, I have to be more focused on getting a solid grasp on the language, even looking into some courses here. I think the combo of the courses and living in the culture could be great. :o) My job is still here as of today - the UNHCR decided to fund music therapy for 2010 but the budget is smaller and much more confined. I am really considering trying to start something on my own. There is so much need here in so so many different populations that I don't think it will be a problem to find clients and be a benefit to them. I see music therapy making a huge difference here and I hope that something good will come out of my crazy ideas.

Anyway, I will talk to you soon. miss you, xoxo.

No comments: