Alright, let's start with Saturday. Aimee and I woke up on time! Woohoo and we were already packed (shared a suitcase, very good at saving space this trip) and we met up with everyone outside, headed down the hill, and were picked up by a totally Middle Eastern looking bus. It's the Toyota Autobus, kind of like a big fan with the curtains in the windows. I believe I took a picture of it for you. We made it to the airport, no problems with anyone's passports except for our friend Solarios. He's from Columbia and gets hassled no matter where he goes, grr. The flight between Amman and Cairo is only an hour and 25 minutes; however, they gave us a full lunch with tea and cake. In the States, that would never happen on a short flight. You don't even get peanuts anymore on some flights!
Landed at the Cairo International Airport and began our drive to the hotel in yet another great van/bus. Hehehe, plenty of pictures of that one. Driving into the city was crazy - there were estreet venders with animals skins hanging, slaughtered animals, kids running around trying to sell things. And the pollution was unbelievable, you can see it in the pictures. Aimee and I had a hard time breathing most of the trip, eww. Cairo is busy busy but has a great atmosphere of life. There is a lot of poverty but people seem happy.... We went shopping the first night there in the Old City. Got to haggle for bargains and the prices were sooo cheap. It was almost crazy but I bought a few gifts for people at home. I also purchased a belly dancing sash. It ties over your outfit on your hips and has dangly bells so it make noise when you dance. Pretty hilarious! But we had fun testing them out that night. The hotel we stayed in was called the Om Kalthoum Hotel as it was named after a famous Egyptian singer. It was originally her home so throughout the hotel were pictures and items that used to be hers. As we were told about Cairo, the quality of the hotel wasn't fabulous but I have stayed in much worse (aka -Econo Lodge, Illinois) so it worked out as our place to stay for a few days. I learned how to ask for my room key in arabic which was very helpful as we had to turn it in each morning before we went out.
Alright, phase one over for the Egypt update. Next, I will give you the Sunday itinerary. Talk to you soon!! miss you, xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment