Sometimes I go through my days in Amman and they fly by so fast, I don't even really take in the fact that I am living in Amman, Jordan. I have this amazing opportunity that at the same time, is taking a big toll on me emotionally. On the way to work, I see the rolling hills of Amman with the distinctive Middle Eastern architecture, with the crazy trucks and taxis speeding about, with a mix of modern to traditional people all over the place and I smile. Yesterday, I was talking with a friend of mine who was working here and recently had to go back to Baghdad because his work permit expired due to miscommunication and disorganization. He was chatting with me on facebook chat and all of the sudden, a beautiful peace came over me as I realized I have WONDERFUl friends here from all over the world. A year ago, the Middle East was a place on the map that I heard about through corrupt news programs. Now, it is a place that I can call home - the people are friends, colleagues, that I respect and can call good souls. That isn't too say that everything about my life here is perfect - in fact, lately it has been far from perfect. Within my job, there are a lot of issues that I could never have imagined, that do not really exist in the States because they are more cultural - and it gets to the point where I wonder how much of myself I am losing along the way - trying to make Music Therapy work here.
I hope that when I return to the States this summer, I am a better person because of the struggles and joys I have experienced here. I guess the only way to find out is to stick it out and be thankful for the opportunities that I do have. Music therapy is really working here which is awesome, I hope that in the coming years, it really can flourish!
In other news, I went to a trivia night last night that my friend Amit hosts and let me tell you, we were so close but came in at Third Place :o) Candy was the price so I was perfectly content with that. The quiz night is held at this English pub but the chef actually cooks wonderful Indian food as well as traditional English dishes, quite funny but delicious!
I'll write more soon! Sending hugs, xoxoxo, miss you and love you lots.
No comments:
Post a Comment