Saturday, February 20, 2010

Good Ole Time Management

Who knew that I would somehow become just as busy in Amman, Jordan as I have been in previous places in my life?   For moving to a place where I knew no one, I sure have lots to do now!  I have wonderful friends, pretty lucky in that respect, and I have also successfully made myself busy busy with music therapy work, teaching, playing in the symphony, and singing in choir.  Trying to find that balance between work and relaxation as well.  Is this what adult life is like, seeking balance all the time?  :o)


Work has been going so well.  My work with different group sessions has been emotionally intense but very rewarding and such a learning process for me.  The psychologists at the center interact with me more and understand more of what music therapy does with their clients, awesome!  Just for your own enjoyment, I'm putting a link to a youtube clip that I am in.  This was a segment on "Good Morning Egypt" a few months ago - talking about music therapy with the kids I was working with in the fall.  Hope you like it!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvML4dskAGk


I still think the most important thing that I am missing right now is an opportunity for personal counseling as well as clinical supervision.  As the only music therapist working clinically, I am not receiving feedback on my work or able to discuss issues that come up during the therapy sessions.  I have been reading about folks doing long distance supervision but I need to find someone that has worked with trauma victims or is at least aware of the different types of issues that can bring up.   


Anyway!  Enough about work. What else is going on?  The weather has been unbelievable so Aimee and I really enjoyed the week by taking walks outside, played soccer yesterday, sat outside the other night at read a book, quite nice.  On Fat Tuesday, we got doughnuts, two each!  And sat out in the sunshine eating them before our work day began.  I tell you what, doughnuts are the way to go for a feel good breakfast, you just won't feel good later  :o)


Today, I have a symphony photo shoot - getting new advertising pictures taken etc. so hopefully I'll be able to send or post some of those pics in the future.  Then I have my second class meeting of Psychology of Music, the course that I am teaching at the conservatory.  The first class meeting was on Monday when I introduced the syllabus and course information and let me tell you, the students were a bit overwhelmed but they are excited.  All of them completed their first reading before class so we were able to have a productive class discussion on human musicality.  I feel like a teacher!  And oddly enough, I really enjoy teaching, I thought I would hate it but I truly enjoy teaching, mentoring others, seeing them understand and be successful.  


Alright, off to the photo shoot - I'll write more soon.  Miss you and love you - xoxoxo

No comments: