Saturday, February 13, 2010

What a Week :o)

Let's see - where do I begin?  My week was a mix of work and play with visitors mixed in!  On Sunday last week, orchestra rehearsal was cancelled in the evening for the Winds Section so Aimee and I went to church (Catholic Mass) in all Arabic, very cool, and then we did something really silly.  We ate dinner at Chili's.  hahahaha.  But it was delicious and we thought since it WAS Superbowl Sunday, we were allowed to go to an American chain. Don't judge us!  :o)  Then the week really got started with sessions, work meetings, orchestra rehearsals, choir rehearsal, going to the gym, etc.  The week just flew by!!  On Wednesday, a music therapist that I met in Israel came to visit and was able to observe one of my sessions- it was so wonderful to have an actual music therapist give me suggestions and feedback about the session, woohoo!  She stayed until today and had a wonderful time in Amman, it's so good to connect music therapists working in the area.  There are a few of us and it's comforting to have the support around the region.  I also met a dance/movement therapist that will be here for 3 weeks starting today and she will hopefully be able to come and do some partner sessions with me for some of my group sessions!   


In other news, I have been eating healthier or at least trying to.  The availability and price of veggies and fruit here in unbelievably cheap so I need to take advantage while I am here. The weather has started to get warmer - at least for this week - so Aimee and I have made the walk down to our favorite smoothie place "Fruit Salad".  You can order almost any kind of smoothie and it's fresh fresh fruit, no additives or anything = delicious!  We also came across an awesome Lebanese place today where we grabbed lunch for $3 for the both us - really great pastries and sandwiches, yum!  Sorry to always talk about food but I love the food here.  The spices are soo different and it's great to try the different dishes from the neighboring countries.  Iraqi food is at the top of my list right now.  I'm hopefully going to learn how to make a few of the dishes as well as bring back/send back with my parents, some of the local spices so I can share the food with you when I get back!  


I have been reading as much as I can about counselors working with victims of trauma and torture and also about how the counselors can protect themselves from getting tired and burnt out in those situations.  Interestingly, in most of the articles, 85% of more of the counselors interviewed/surveyed said that their spirituality (whatever that may be) was the most effective coping mechanism during their time working with these difficult populations.   


Alrighty, better get to work but I will write more soon.  Miss you and sending xoxoxo!

No comments: