I just think it is fascinating how our brains deal with change and transition. For some people, change hits them like a speeding truck while for others, change occurs in the now and they deal with it later. And still for others, change does not seem to give them a hard time at all. I personally think I am a mix between the last two ideas. I definitely am affected by change but I think I have developed pretty handy coping skills to help me deal with change in my life. The whole reason I am talking about this is because of the funny moments of clarity/reality checks I have here. One happened today while I was standing outside the 2nd security door of the American Embassy. I was there to pick up my passport and while I was waiting, the wind started to blow around me (by the way, today was freezing, I had to buy a winter coat). Anyway, when the wind started blowing I looked up and for some reason, I finally noticed the dust blowing and surrounding the building, everything. In that moment, I thought to myself, wow Maryellen- you are living in Amman, Jordan, as a single young woman, doing music therapy. How did that happen?!! :o) It's not that it is a bad thing but sometimes, I wonder how I got here. I am so grateful for this experience, the tough times and the good ones but really, it is amazing that I am able to live and work here, practicing in my field. I just feel very lucky and sometimes feel like because I have to make this life normal, I have to make this home, I forget that I am living in the Holy Lands, the desert.
Besides that moment of clarity, like I said, I successfully purchased a winter coat and I have a great winter hat. Who knew that I would need those in Jordan. The most exciting part of the evening was when I decided to try on some boots in a shoe store and the sales man thought I was Arab. I was using my minimal Arabic skills to ask to try on the shoes and when he came back, I asked what the American size was and he was shocked to find out I was American. I felt pretty cool.....then I tripped over my shoe on the way out, cool factor over for the day. :o)
Going to hopefully get some planning and paperwork out of the way tomorrow morning so I can go to the gym, then enjoy some more symphony rehearsal. We have our next concert in Aqaba by the Red Sea. I'll be sure to take some pictures. I also want to make sure I take pictures of places I see everyday. I am used to how things work here but I want to be able to show you when I get home! Alright, time for bed. Missing you lots, talk soon. xoxoxo.
No comments:
Post a Comment