Monday, September 14, 2009

Daily Life

Alrighty, nothing too too exciting to report this time, but sometimes that is a good thing. Routine is not always bad, not saying I have a routine yet because that would be crazy! This last week was very busy with symphony, new people I met from symphony, getting together with people at night, dinner at Julie's, working with my clients, paperwork, and attempting to make my apartment look more like home. I am still staring at blank walls but I don't want to go crazy buying things quite yet. It's such a dilemma because I am only here for a year....BUT, it is a year and I want this to feel like home when I come home. I found a great art supplies store downtown so I might walk down there today and see what I could buy to make my own decorations :o) oh the big problems of life, just kidding! I have been so blessed while I am here with people taking care of me. My landlord is so funny, always making sure that everything is ok, telling me not to worry about the cockroach, they just come to say hello once in awhile. Julie and Soetji invited me over for dinner last night so I stopped by after work and hung out with the kids for a bit, so wonderful, then had tea and cookies with Julie, just relaxing and talking. I always feel a bit more "normal" (whatever normal is) when I spend time with her and her family.

Yesterday, I successfully told the taxi driver, in Arabic, how to get to the conservatory. For some reason, no one could understand my accent before this :o) hehe. I also had awesome sessions yesterday, it's so rewarding to see some of my clients making jumps forward. Sometimes in therapy, it seems like nothing changes, nothing changes, and then all of the sudden, a BIG change! I have to remind myself that I have not been working with them for that long yet so time is still available. Being here is really forcing me to slow down and take it all in. In the States we run around, trying to be efficient with every moment of the day that sometimes, I think we miss the good moments, we're too busy for them. Here, I feel like I am beginning to get the hang of slowing down (just a little bit) but it is making me notice the small things, the good moments. I like it! I still don't like how business runs slower but I'll just have to get used to that while I am here.

My first symphony rehearsal was on Saturday and let me tell you, it's quite different getting together with a bunch of talented musicians. We were all sight-reading our music but sounded pretty decent! The director was pretty tough on people for missing notes and dynamics, even though we were sight-reading, I was surprised! The funny thing is, he would kind of yell at or embarrass some of the instrument groups that would miss things but he would never do anything to two flutes. Amy and I must have looked like we would cry if he said anything because he would just look at us and say something like "be careful with that note". :o) Just thought that was kind of funny.

Time to get things done today. Exciting news for next week, Lisa and I are planning on going to Galilee and Nazareth, will be an awe-inspiring experience I think, to be in the places talked about in the gospels. Anyway, I am missing home quite a bit but I know that things are the way they are for a reason. Love you and talk to you soon!

No comments: