After the castle, Ahmad met us so we could follow him to his house (Soetiji rented a car for the day to get us around). Lucky we did follow him because we were winding through beautiful, tree-filled mountains, and would have gotten lost for sure by ourselves. Ahmad took us on a slight detour to show off their natural springs which were surrounding by fig and pomegranate trees!!! They just picked them and handed us some, sooo tasty :o) Once we got back to the house, I was introduced to Ahmad's mother-in-law, sister-in-law and fiance, his 6 children (Age 2 -17), and his wonderful wife. They greeted us with such warmth, it was so comforting. We then sat in the receiving room on low cushions, Julie speaking with Ahmad and family in Arabic, me trying to pick out the words that I knew. Then they cleared out the middle of the floor and set down the meal. When the pray started at sundown, we were able to break the fast with a fabulous meal! Sitting on the floor (cross-legged), we helped ourselves to what seemed like an endless amount of rice, chicken, a stew type mixture with okra, stuffed somethings with rice and meat, lemon Labana (yogurt type dish), fresh cucumber and tomato salad, pita, a special sauce that I have no idea what was in it, and more. Then after the meal, we were invited into the family room to spend time with the kids and were served HUGE plates of fresh fruit including apples, figs, and grapes. I tried to learn the Arabic words for the fruit, we'll see if I remember them! To end the meal, we were served wonderful Turkish coffee. During our time with the family, I could not understand a lot of what was being said but I could definitely understand their faces and actions, such an inviting family, so comfortable to be around. For sure a surreal experience.
Tomorrow, I have my group sessions, always a blast and it is also the LAST DAY of Ramadan! Woohoo. Sunday through Thursday is called the Eid - the big celebration at the end of Ramadan. Most businesses are closed and people just party. Hopefully Lisa and I will be traveling or treating ourselves to something fun through our days off. I get Sunday through Tuesday off because Wednesday I have symphony rehearsal. We have a concert in just 2 weeks!! Hope we will be ready. Anyway, enough blabbing from me, I will update you soon. Miss you a ton.
No comments:
Post a Comment