Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I Hate Needles

Today, Lisa and I had to go down and get our blood test as part of the screening to get our residency. First, we met at the conservatory because two other new employees needed to get the test as well. Then, we got into a 1982 Toyota van, SCARY!, with a driver from the conservatory and headed off to the one place where we were supposed to get this blood test. After driving up and down hills throughout what seemed the entire city, we pull into a parking lot, get out of the van and the driver asks for all of our passports. The other two people were from Ukraine, the woman I found out is teaching cello at the conservatory. We then followed the driver to a small, falling apart building where lots of other people were waiting for the same thing I suppose. After he paid for us, we went upstairs, through lots of people, and found the room to get our blood taken. Now, coming from the States, this particular room was not what you would call sanitary, the edges of the floor falling apart, dusty,etc. Luckily, the materials for getting the blood (aka -needles) were clean. The woman taking the blood was very nice and seemed to know exactly what she was doing, it was quick and didn't hurt at all. I got a band aid and a cotton ball to stop the bleeding. Of course, Lisa and I were nervous so our arms were more tense then they should been but we were brave :o) felt like I deserved a lollipop afterwards, haha. If the blood test comes out with HIV or anything strange like that, you actually have to leave the country, they will not let you stay. Luckily, I am not worried about that but still, what a law.

Once we arrived back at the conservatory, I turned in my audition CD for the symphony, grabbed Mozart and Beethoven and headed to the practice room. What a great feeling, to just sit down and play some piano....nothing quite like it. The nice thing are the practice rooms with the windows, not the dungeon ones. :o) We'll have to see about the flute audition, I am assuming they will let me know sooner rather than later but you never know.

In other news, Grace and I went to Carrefour last night (the Wal-Mart type place) and took our time looking through the huge grocery selections, who said grocery shopping can't be fun? We made it fun! Then we chilled with some hot chocolate (it is getting pretty cold here at night) and when we looked at the Ramadan hours, found out that the mall is actually opened until midnight during Ramadan! Reminds me of a Christmas type schedule. My big find at the mall was eye-makeup remover, how exciting.

Oh!! And exciting news on the work front, they found a female translator for Lisa and I! We are meeting with her tonight to get to know her and tell her about what we do, how we hope to incorporate translation etc. Woohoo! More updates to come, miss you all so much. xoxo

No comments: