Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tea and a Full Belly

One thing is for certain, I will not starve in this country. In fact, when I return, I will most likely be 20 pounds heavier because of all the wonderful food I have been eating. First, I will begin with my story from a few days ago. By the way, I'm sorry I have not been able to update until now, this week has been crazy with work and symphony and life in general! Luckily, I have time now to summarize :o) Ok, so my story.......well, I needed to find a black top to wear for the symphony concert because women are supposed to wear all black from head to toe. I have the pants and the shoes but I needed the top. Aimee had one that I could borrow which was awesome but I wanted to see if I could find one for myself, since I will be playing more than one concert here! So anyway, I'm off browsing in a shop and I find a little shop off of Rainbow Street that seems to have just what I need, so of course, after I find the black top, I keep looking because the prices are really cheap. I ended up getting two nice shirts for $15, pretty good! During my time in the store, the shop owner, a much older gentleman greeted me kindly and asked me a few questions and began to share his story with me. After a few minutes, he invited me to sit down and he made tea for the two of us. He told me how he grew up in Kuwait and wanted to go to the States in 1985 but was continually rejected his visa, eventually he ended up in Jordan and is happy with his shop but he wishes he would have had the opportunity for the American dream. As I was sitting there, drinking delicious tea with this kind man, I realized that it was a situation I would probably never encounter in the States. We are so busy with our go-go-go lives that people don't take the time to sit down and share stories. It was a beautiful moment for me.

On the flip side, things at work were getting frustrating because some changes were not being made that was making it very difficult to do therapy. Luckily, we had a big meeting today and things are starting to turn around, small changes have started already which is awesome. I am really lucky to be getting all of this experience here, especially in my first job. I occasionally feel like a crazy person because my brain is on constant cultural overload so sometimes, I really want to leave (like yesterday) and then today, I really want to stay and make the most of my time here. The thing that is helping the most is the great support I have at home and here. Truly blessed am I.

Tonight, I was invited over to the conductor of the symphony's house for dinner with he and his family. A few people from the symphony were invited, about 7 of us, which was lovely. Our conductor is originally from Iraq so the whole meal was traditional Iraqi cuisine. We had chicken that had roasted with peas, carrots, potatoes, tomato paste, and secret spices; then rice; hummus; a mixture of green beans in a special sauce (sorry for the mysterious labels); fresh veggies; kuba, a meat dish; and finished the meal with Iraqi sweets that you dig out of flour and tea. SOOO GOOD. I can't wait to tell my kids at the center that I had Iraqi food, they will be so excited. Throughout the evening tonight, watching everyone laugh and have a great time, I realized what an awesome experience I get to have here. Because I am doing music therapy, I get to work with kids, basically out in the field. But because I am playing in the symphony, I get to experience a bit more of the middle class life as well.....and I just get to watch and observe, and come home to my friendly cockroach friends. I have been cockroach free for a few days! but I am actually considering the move to a new place with Aimee. We shall see. I just realized that even though I am always going to have the really down days when I want to come home, I have such a great opportunity here to provide education on music therapy, to provide music therapy, to play with a professional orchestra, to sight-see, to eat new food, to laugh with new friends, to learn Arabic, to learn to live on my own......and the best of all is that I do know I get to come home and visit all of you in just 10 months, really not that long. Just keep reminding me of that :o) I took some pictures at the center today and I want to take more on Saturday, then maybe I will be able to post some for you to see! I miss you and I will talk to you soon. xoxoxo

No comments: