Sunday, September 6, 2009

Open Hearts and Open Minds

I am continually touched by the warmth and openness of the people I meet here. I am not saying that Amman, Jordan is without crime and hate, but I am so lucky that the people I am able to interact with are wonderful. Last night, after my group sessions (which were crazy by the way), Lisa and I were invited over to one of the family's homes for the "Iftar", when they break the fast in the evening. The meal is called 'breakfast', hmmm, that makes sense! Anyway, so we were dropped off at the house and went downstairs. The family is a single Mom, from Egypt, and her three daughters who are clients of mine. This is where the lines blur a bit, being in Jordan rather than the States. In the U.S, I would never be able to go home with one or three of my clients for a meal like this, but here, that boundary line can be crossed.

We went inside and Mom showed us to the sitting room, telling us that we should feel at home and just relax. We were not allowed to help with any of the preparation of food or clean up for that matter. We just got to sit and talk with the girls, getting to know them on a more personal level and let me tell you, one of the girls is just 15 years old and wants to be a woman from Jordan who makes a difference in the world. Listening to her talk, she sounded like a college student, and more than that, she has gone through many struggles in her life and she still can see the good in people and the worth in life. Finally, at 7:15, we listened to the pray and call to break the fast, then rushed to the table!!! So much food was spread all over the table, fish/rice/potatoes/salad/dates/juice/a new Egyptian veggie dish/and more. The food tasted delicious and I was stuffed by the end of the meal. During eating, no one really talks because everyone was so hungry beforehand. Lots of smiles were passed along throughout the meal though. After dinner, Lisa and I were not allowed to help clean up so get this, we watched NCIS (one of my all time favorite shows) with the family and had Turkish coffee, with some hookah on the side (Lisa loves hookah!, apple flavored). Then, Mom and the girls turned on some great Arabic music and began to show us how they belly dance. In Egypt, the women are known to dance very well, they say it is just in their blood, they were never taught. I cannot move like that! I attempted but it's going to take a lot of work, and muscle, haha. To top the evening off, we sat and chatted a bit more and then, Mom literally opened her home to Lisa and I to stay, spend time night and said we are always welcome in her home, we are family now. How beautiful and comforting that was to hear!

In today's news, I had more individual sessions and they went well. I am always learning new things about how music therapy can be implemented here and what the kids respond and don't respond to. Two music educators observed me today and hopefully, they were able to learn more about what music therapy is and how it works in this population.

I have been craving coffee and chocolate lately, a TON of it, so I haven't been falling asleep on time at night. Hopefully, I will lay off the coffee this week and sleep a bit more :o) but it tastes so good!

Miss you a lot and talk to you soon, xoxo

1 comment:

Jen said...

wow Mel, that dinner sounded so interesting! You are def. learning so many different things about another culture, what a life experience... hope you keep kicking butt over there :o)