Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Always an Adventure

Understanding the language seems to be key to getting important things done here. Without that understanding, it makes for a day like mine, yesterday. :o) I had to go to the police station (do not fear, I was not arrested) to extend my visa to a 3 month tourist visa until my residency paperwork goes through and gets processed. Lisa and I jumped in a taxi to literally about 7 minutes to the 3rd circle where the police station was. On the way, the taxi driver "accidentally" passes the 3rd circle and has to turn around, making more money for himself. The ironic part is that while turning around, he backed his car into a high curb and sounded like he did some major damage. He did not stop to look at that time but geesh! a little scary. Finally, when we made it to the police station, I used the directions Grace gave me to find my way to the right office. There were a few folks inside the office, waiting for something, and a long line outside of the office. As I waited in line, I realized that people just walked in the office, interrupting what was going on inside and no one seemed to care. The line didn't mean anything either, it was just a bunch of people waiting but whoever pushed their way to the front was the one that got their turn next. I'm not usually a pushy person but I stood closest to the door and when I finally got the attention of the officer, he took my passport and I explained what I needed. The actual process of extending the visa took all of 5 minutes, he took my address and phone number, and then stamped it and signed. It was the crazy waiting process that took the most time. I'll remember that next time I go.

After the police station visit, Lisa headed home and I stopped at the bank to pick up my ATM card. This process ended up being much easier as I said "ATM" and they pointed me towards someone who knew a bit of English. I have not received a pay check yet so I don't have use for my ATM card but it feels good to have access to my account when the bank is not open. Because of Ramadan, most businesses have strange hours for the next 3 and 1/2 weeks so I'm not sure when the bank will actually be open for business. The ATM is 24 hours luckily.

Lisa and I had a meeting with Julie earlier and are planning for more clients, 2 more music therapists coming from Holland, and more involvement at the conservatory. I will be helping with the Introduction to Music Therapy course at the Conservatory this fall and will be teaching my own course in the spring! woohoo! I'm really lucky to be able to work with such great people.

In other news, I have been experimenting with cooking....always an adventure with me. I have progressed from days of burning corn to making some delicious meals. Last night, I made stuffed green peppers (stuffed them with rice and chicken) and they were quite tasty! I am trying to eat healthier, although it is difficult sometimes to stay on top of that. I went to mypyramid.gov and found out what my food pyramid should look like according to my height/weight/age, etc. It's pretty cool, I recommend it.

Sorry for the lack of pictures lately. Next week, I should be moving into my apartment so I will take lots of pictures of that and I'll also try to take some pictures in the neighborhood, give you an idea of where I live and what I see everyday. I'll update again soon, miss everyone a lot a lot.

No comments: