Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Enjoying the Atmosphere

I am writing to you from one of the local bookstores called "The Good Book Shop" on Rainbow Street. It takes me all of about 5 minutes to walk here but it really is a comfortable place to sit and do work, watch people outside, and relax. I brought my computer up here because they have free wi-fi (and I did buy books from them) and the internet is SOO much faster than mine at home, plus I actually can focus better and get more work done when I am not distracted by the apartment. We are still trying to figure out what we are going to do abotu the internet at home. Grace, Lisa, and I might split the cost for wireless and secure our own network but we're not sure if it's worth it or not. This bookstore is great, it has everything from Christian publications to Lonely Planet guides to cookbooks to kids books and more. I am staring at the Lonely Planet book display because there are so many cool places to go travel. Turkey looks cool, I definitely want to go to Paris, Dubai would be awesome, I think Germany and China could also be good. Haha, looks like I need to narrow my list down and spead it out over a couple years.

Looking down Rainbow Street right now, there are not many people out and about like usual because of Ramadan. Luckily I hit up the local market before they closed so I will be able to make a good dinner tonight. From 7-9:30 ish, Rainbow Street will look like a ghostown but after 10, the party is started. People literally seem to flip their schedule around during Ramadan and stay up even later than normal, then sleep in late in the morning. Last night, Lisa and I went for coffee around 9:30pm (silly decision because then we stayed up until 2 am) but on the way there, people were everywhere on the streets, all the local shops had re-opened for the evening, and even little kids were scooting around. I'm really interested to see what the big celebration at the end of Ramadan will be like. We actually have 4 days off that week, no one works, just parties. Hmmmmm

I am looking forward to more individual sessions with my kids tomorrow. I have my session plans ready but willing to be flexible as well, never know where the music can take us. I've started to expand my repertoire of Arabic music as well....I"ll attempt to post something, we shall see.

Alright, more later, sorry for the stream of conciousness update, sometimes those are fun! Miss you lots and talk to you soon. xoxo

No comments: