In other news, I had dinner with Julie and her family tonight. Julie is the music therapy professor at the Conservatory and is the woman I have been in contact with since March before I came here. She is WONDERFUl and it was grounding, so normal, to spend time playing with her kids and relaxing in her home. Her husband Soeitji is from Indonesia and they just got back from visiting family in Taiwan, quite an interesting family. Elise (not sure if I am spelling her same correctly) is 8 years old and going into second grade. She is quite the fireball and full of energy, she couldn't wait to show me her room, her dollhouse, toys, and most of all, her tai quan do outfit and kicks :o) Owen, Julie's youngest, is 2 years old and the most adorable kid. He was also FULL of energy, apparently not affected by jet lag and was running around the apartment giggling. He gave me a big hug which is rare for him so I felt very special. The kids call Lisa and I "khalah" which means Auntie, so I am now "Auntie Maryellen" to Elise and Owen, hehe. Soeitji steamed fresh fish for dinner and used a special sauce from Taiwan to season it, SOOO good, and we had veggies and rice to go along with the meal. Such great conversation and laughs took place.
After the kids went to sleep, the topic of conversation turned to Ramadan, which is starting tomorrow (Saturday) here. In the Muslim faith, they fast during Ramadan for 30 days and celebrate at the end of those 30 days. How it works is they cannot eat/drink/swallow anything from sunrise to sunset. They break the fast at sunset and can eat, it's usually a big family meal and people truly enjoy the fellowship together. At first, I thought people would be mad that Ramadan was coming but the air is full of excitement. People are ready and excited to go through this time, there is a sense of comradery. Quite interesting. It makes me think a little of Lent in the Christian faith but sometimes, I feel as though Lent has lost it's true meaning for some. Hopefully, during this month of Ramadan, I myself will be able to take more time to be in prayer and grow spiritually, as that is what this is designed to enhance. Maybe it is because I am in the middle of the Holy Lands but more and more, I am noticing God in the everyday, and I am sure noticing how well he is taking care of me here. It helps so much to know that people at home are thinking about me and I also have people here that I am getting to know and that I can lean on. That's pretty lucky. :o)
Alright, time to sleep, work tomorrow. Keep you updated. (on and p.s, the owner of the ice cream store up the street now knows me because I have gone there a ton already, hehe)
No comments:
Post a Comment