Thursday, August 6, 2009

Third Full Day - oh how time is strange

Today is only my third full day here but I feel as though I have been here for weeks. Time always does the opposite of what we want it to do, when we want it to drag, it flies and vice versa. Let me give you the outline of today....a strange but good one I have to say.

Last night, I still did not sleep, I have been falling asleep at 5 am which would be 10 pm at home. Makes sense but it is not easy to then get up 3 hours later. Ugh, I am hoping that will change soon, jet lag could be the end of my sanity. :o) just kidding!

Ok, so after a night of not sleeping, I got up and showered, put on my long tunic top to cover my butt and put on capris. Cute little shoes of course, can't go without cute shoes. Then Lisa and I headed down the street to take a look at an apartment that was supposedly for rent. The landlord took us in and said that it was being used as storage, well, YES it was. There was stuff everywhere and the landlord said he was planning on remodeling (literally taking walls down) and that it would be ready in a month. Hm.....not sure about that one, and there would only be on very tiny window. I will call him back in a day and probably tell him no unless I really can't find anything else. Luckily, my supervisor will be back on the 19th and said I could stay with her if I need to. One thing I have found here are very giving people.
Continuing with my day, I headed to the National Conservatory of Music in a taxi. Driving here is CRAZY!! I am glad I don't have to do it, haha. I met the assistant director and took care of some work stuff like insurance, etc. I started feeling very overwhelmed because everyone was speaking arabic around me and I felt out of place. At that same moment, I was feeling excited because we had discussed the clinic and the new instruments coming and my client load. I will have 20 clients! I will do individual sessions and groups.
After finishing, Lisa and I had a cappuccino at the conservatory and then Omar, one of the people I will be working with, drove us home in his Mercedes convertible. People here are able to buy cars tax free so you can get good cars for cheap.
As we got close, Lisa decided she wanted to stop by the Catholic church she has been going to. It is not far from where she lives so Omar dropped her off, then she called me and wanted me to come to so he took me back. The priest there has adopted Lisa as one of his own and has been feeding her breakfast and lunch. He was not there this particular afternoon but his cleaner, Laura - a tiny woman from the Philippines, invited me for lunch too. She cooked wonderful fish and rice and veggies, gave me tea and an apple to top it off. So giving! The BEST part was that I could hear the Muslim call to prayer on the loud speaker outside while at the same time, I was watching Lisa and Laura dance around to the American pop station which happened to be playing Paula Abdoul's "Straight Up" :o)

To top the day of, I stopped by the cell phone place and got a pay as you go plan to call the people I work with here. AND! the best purchase so far is a comfy comfy pillow. I am predicting that this will help me sleep better tonight.

Sorry for the obnoxiously long update. I will try to be better at this in the future but I want to tell you all about everything I do!! Miss you so much! I will update soon!

oh and p.s - connections of life are everywhere. Lisa and I were taken to dinner last night by a friend, Amit, that I was connected with through someone's brother of someone that works with my mom. While at dinner, Amit's friends came, one from Germany and she knows someone that will be going to study at the same place that my brother Ben is going to in a month. The old song, "It's a Small World" pops into my head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! It sounds like you are having quite the first week! Miss you!