Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The World is Still Getting Smaller

Today was an excellent day...I am feeling much more confident in getting around and I am really becoming aware of my neighborhood and the surrounding areas. That being said, I still have not seen A LOT of the city. It is comprised of hills and there are so many small windy roads, it will take a whole year to see half of it I am sure. The amount of shops, markets, and restaurants is crazy too. Everything I have tried has been so good. :o)

This morning was a pretty lazy morning. I got up at a normal time (9:00 am, hehe) and took my time eating breakfast and getting ready. Lisa got back and she and I discussed how we want to work out but finding a gym here will be a challenge. We found one that looks good but it is also looking like it might cost a ton. So, to make ourselves feel better, we found some short workouts on YouTube, who knew? That helped for today but we'll see what else we find. I might asking for workout DVDs, haha.

At the clinic, the kids were full of it. Lisa had a few of her younger clients which are the cutest but the most devilish. :o) I am very excited to start work on my own but I am not looking forward to the constant battle of convincing people what music therapy is and why it works. I would have to do that whether I was here or in the States but it is still tiring. Interacting with the children through music is a beautiful. I did a improvisation with a little guy and he was really following and playing with me, taking turns etc. Woohoo!

Ok, so Lisa has a friend visiting from the States, he landed at 4:45 and we had our driver from the conservatory pick him up. Well, apparently it is illegal for the yellow taxis from Amman to go to and from the airport but Ahmad used his taxi anyway......so Jace's first experience in Amman was being chased the police in a taxi with a guy who doesn't speak much English. Needless to say, Ahmad did not stop for the police, only went extremely fast and beat them back to the city where he drove Jace to meet us at the clinic. Oh the stories! When we got back home, we just ate dinner on the back balcony and talked for a bit. Then I convinced everyone that we needed to walk down the street to try the new ice cream place.....so we did. And it ended up that the guy working at the ice cream store had gone to school in Phoenix and Jace and Lisa went to ASU there. crazy!!!! To end the evening's showing of "it's a small world", we exited the ice cream shop and a guy shuffled past me on the street that I recognized.....now who would I recognize in a city of 3 million people. Well, it happened to be Keanan's friend Brit, who I recognized because of facebook, lol! So we called out his name and he turned around and bam, another friend in this city around the world. It's moments like that in which I know life is not random. I am here in Amman, Jordan for a purpose. We'll have to see what comes of this adventure. Write to you more soon. Miss you much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're finally starting to feel like this is becoming "normal" even though I miss not being able to just call you up whenever! Miss you lots! :) I must also say I'm really impressed with the amount of blogging you've been doing! To think- in Etown you'd never answer the damn phone but I feel like I know just want you're doing when you're halfway around the world! hahaha

Jon Goff said...

Hey Mel, loving the updates. Really cool to see you adjusting to live on the other side of the world, keep it up!